NOTE: There are no standard definitions for position titles in the industry. Our position descriptions are intended to be all encompassing. The more specific the position description, the less applicable it becomes to all participating practices and influences the amount of data reported. Please read the description and select the position title that most closely reflects the responsibilities of the employee.
Ambulatory/Clinical Services Director
- A clinical operations position;
- Monitors the daily operations of the organization’s clinical function;
- Develops, implements, and monitors policies and procedures; and
- Monitors the activities of the advanced practice technical staff such as radiology and laboratory technicians.
Ancillary Services Director
- Formulates policies, programs and procedures related to ancillary services;
- Develops and implements programs for expansion or contraction of patient care services as necessary;
- Oversees Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organization (JCAHO) standards of compliance within the ancillary departments;
- May manage laboratory, radiology, transportation/stores and pharmacy supervisors;
- Coordinates with other departments in clinic activities and in developing measures of success; and
- Aligns ancillary department initiatives with the larger organization’s strategic goals and mission.
Branch/Satellite Clinic Director
- Oversees the administrative and operations activities of multiple clinical practice sites;
- Develops financial policy for the clinical operation in concert with the organization’s top financial officer;
- Oversees the implementation of the organization’s policies and procedures, including budget management, human resources management,
- and compliance with state and federal regulations; and
- Supervises clinic managers and indirectly supervises clinic staff.
Building and Grounds Director
- Develops and implements policies and procedures related to the organization’s physical facilities such as buildings; and
- Oversees related activities such as building maintenance, housekeeping, grounds preservation.
Business Services Director
- Directs and coordinates business office activities in an organization that has a top administrator;
- Monitors the medical billing system; and
- Oversees areas of responsibility such as third-party reimbursement, physician billing, collections, contract administration, and management reporting.
Clinical Research Director
- Analyzes and summarizes clinical data and outcomes with responsibility for research design, methodology, and data collection protocols;
- Prepares grant proposals;
- Participates in investigator meetings, seminars, and regional or national research conferences; and
- Coordinates the activities of associates and investigators to ensure compliance with protocols and overall research objectives.
- Develops, plans, organizes, and administers programs to comply with applicable state and federal statutes, regulations, policies, and procedures within the organization to ensure administrative and operational objectives are met;
- Identifies operational business risk issues; and
- Develops a Corporate Compliance Plan or a Code of Conduct Handbook.
- Directs and coordinates fundraising programs for the organization, such as the annual fund, planned (deferred) giving, foundation and corporate fundraising, direct mail and phone solicitations, grant proposals, donor research, donor recordkeeping, donor recognition, special fundraising events, etc.
Education and Training Director
- Develops and delivers education and training programs for the training needs of the organization’s staff and patients;
- Evaluates programs to determine whether the training goals and objectives have been met;
- Monitors the delivery of ongoing programs; and
- Supervises training managers.
Education and Training Director
- Responsible for preparing financial statements and all general accounting functions;
- Develops, implements, and monitors tax compliance such as income, sales, and use and has payroll oversight;
- Responsible for internal accounting policies and procedures;
- Supervises the financial department; and
- Directs all statistical analysis and reporting including monthly operating and medical management statistics.
Health Plan Director
- In charge of all basic non-medical operations, i.e., plans operations, membership enrollment, plans marketing, claims processing/reporting, and health plan quality assurance data collection/reporting.
Human Resources Director
- Oversees all functions of an established human resources department within an organization; and
- Develops, implements, and coordinates policies relating to all aspects of personnel administration. Including recruitment, salary and benefits administration, EEO/AA and labor law compliance, and employee relations.
Information Systems Director
- Implements and monitors all activities that relate to the organization’s information system, including functions such as physician practice billing, scheduling, data processing, networking, and system security;
- Oversees or resolves systems implementation and integration issues; and
- Performs programming tasks when necessary.
Laboratory Services Director
- Responsible for all activities related to the operations of a laboratory or several laboratories from the initiation and implementation of test procedures to the oversight of laboratory personnel;
- May perform and monitor testing procedures in addition to administrative duties; and
- Monitors budget activities that relate to the laboratory function.
Managed Care Director
- Initiates and maintains relationships with managed care organizations as well as physician and ancillary providers;
- Develops and directs all managed care activities of the organization including contract negotiations, product development, and capitation payment procedures; and
- May oversee risk and utilization management activities or claims administration for professional/ medical purchased services.
Marketing and Sales Director
- Develops marketing policies and programs that reflect the organization’s goals and objectives;
- Oversees or conducts research designed to evaluate the organization’s market position;
- Directs the implementation of policies and procedures that relate to the promotion of the organization;
- Performs administrative tasks such as department budgeting and supervises marketing/ communications specialists; and
- May oversee the communications function.
Materials Management Director
- Provides overall leadership above all material managers;
- Obtains and reviews bids for vendors; and
- Performs audits to determine items needing restock and to prevent loss and damage.
Medical Records Director
- The individual in this position usually holds professional licensure in the area of medical records management;
- Responsible for medical records library such as patient records;
- Oversees all medical records personnel; and
- Monitors budget activities that relate to the medical records function.
Nursing Services Director
- Oversees all aspects of the organization’s nursing practices and the nursing staff; and
- In most cases, requires certification as a registered nurse (RN).
- Oversees all aspects of the practice operations for a specific site(s) (often times a single location for organizations with multiple locations);
- Directs, administers, and controls the day to day operations and activities of the practice; and
- Ensures compliance with established company and regulatory guidelines and procedures within the facility.
Pharmacy Services Director
- Directs and coordinates subordinate supervisory personnel, activities, and functions of hospital pharmacy;
- Utilizes pharmacy information systems to manage inventory control;
- Ensures compliance with all state and federal legal, accreditation, and certification requirements;
- Initiates and implements quality improvement for the pharmacy department;
- Prepares and dispenses medicines, chemicals, and pharmaceutical preparations according to written orders by authorized medical practitioners; and
- Provides hospital staff with timely information relative to new drugs, policies and standards of care that relate to medication use/safety.
Physician Recruitment Director
- Researches and recruits physicians and other allied health personnel; and
- Completes the entire recruitment cycle from initial contact to contract by organizing schedules, problem resolution, spouse and children considerations, travel, hotel arrangements, meals, references, license, housing, banking, and all other general hosting of candidates.
Physician Relations Director
- Directs and oversees programs designed to foster positive relations between physicians and the hospital or healthcare facility; and
- Promotes the organization among members of the medical community in order to establish partnerships and affiliations.
Quality Improvement/Quality Assurance Director
- Develops and monitors programs designed to improve the quality of healthcare delivery such as outcome measurement; and
- Develops policies and procedures designed to measure the quantitative and qualitative aspects of healthcare delivery.
Radiology Services Director
- Responsible for all activities relating to the delivery of radiological services including the development of policies and procedures;
- Oversees radiology personnel activities;
- Monitors the quality of all film products used; and
- Monitors budget activities related to the radiology departments.
- Oversees payment services for the practice including establishing and maintaining the practice’s fee schedules and fees that relate to managed care activities;
- Conducts regular analyses of reimbursement rates; and
- Oversees coding activities.
Revenue Cycle Director
- Implements appropriate revenue management procedures to ensure the financial success and soundness of the organization; and
- Assists and/or oversees recovering patient accounts receivable.
Strategy/Business Planning Director
- Works with the senior management team to evaluate the business direction and strategy; and
- Ensures that commercial goals of the organization are met while simultaneously maintaining financial control and asset protection.